Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Friday 6 October 2017

Shadowserpent





The ratmen had found us; we'd been on a long expedition to the eastern shadowcap fields. Four days without sight of the sun. There were occasional drifts of snow that had blown down there somehow, and our breath billowed in front of us. We were cold and tired and that's why we probably didn't hear the ratmen before they burst out of the sewers. We've all heard the stories, we knew what would happen, we all know how many of us are lost to ratmen raiders. We were, you know, going to make a fight of it, but we were in no doubt what would happen to us.

Then, there was this noise. Rasping breath, like a horse that's been run too hard, but hissing too. Something moved; massive, light glinting off old armour and hard scales. And eyes that burned like coals. And this thing was fast, I mean really fast, like those black snakes you see in the ruins of the temple district. In seconds the ratmen were down or running. And then this massive thing, it turned those red eyes on us. And that big bastard... he winked. And then he he turned, the armour on his tail striking sparks off the wall, and he walked away.

But it's not the wink I remember. It was his shield. His shield was scale. That's like me carrying a shield covered in human skin. And I remember thinking, yeah he let us go. This time. But if he's carrying a shield like that... what if next time he's not in a good mood? 


*****                        *****

This is the first character created specifically to match the new setting of Stonehollow 
As I say, the Skald and the Faceless are being transplanted into the setting with no difficulty but this is the first one created with the setting in mind. As you can see, I'm started noodling about with ideas about how to do the shadowcap fungus on the base.

The construction was very simple; it's a pushfit Stormcast who I removed the sigmar iconography from and then hands, arms and head from leftover lizardmen I bought my son. A few other bits helped disguise the overall outline. I suppose I should have rejointed the legs to reverse the knees but I think the general shape works without that.





I'm also bringing over another character I created earlier because there frankly aren't enough AoS28-ified lizards out there.



Next up will, I think, be the remains of one of the noble houses that didn't leave the White City On The Hill when it fell. I wonder what became of them...?

6 comments:

  1. Looks really nice. I especially like the paint style you've got going here. Fits the dark theme very well.

    Look forward to move in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing conversion there. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! Very creative, I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely great work. Despite the muted colours it still looks great against a dark background!

    ReplyDelete