Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Saturday 25 January 2020

Shepherd of the Forest



This is a rather special Ent. After building the plastic kit I had a head and a couple of right hands left. That's obviously the basis of another Ent but how to make the rest of it?



Basically, every time we went for a walk over the year, I collected some sticks. Always deadfalls - after all, Treebeard would not approve of me cutting  healthy trees down. 

Walks in Yorkshire, Wales, the highlands of Scotland - every part of  the countryside of mainland Britain contributed some elements. 



Then it was a matter of construction. Some drilling and pinning and a lot of Gorilla Gel.



I added a couple of branches from Dryads to break up the outline.

Almost by accident it appears that I made an Ent with attitude. Just looking at him you can hear the Beegees.




I then fastened him to the base and green stuffed the root structure round the feet.


I painted him using the one of the greatest strengths of contrast paints, I think - the ability to easily blend them to get natural colours. 



The leaves were painted in the traditional way and then I added some foliage from my stash.  



And so here is the current army of Fangorn Forest. 



Very happy with this one and obviously it has a lot of sentimental meaning to the family as it represents our travels in the countryside - something I think Professor Tolkien would have approved of. 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely work and so special in light of how he was foraged on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The whole family loves him because of that.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! Formed models are great, but the ones you make yourself are *always* better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no words in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of Men to describe how much I like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Suber said ... although Gollum would throw the ring away and make these minis his new precious!

    ReplyDelete