Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Wednesday 29 May 2019

"The Scum of the Earth"

"The French system of conscription brings together a fair sample of all classes; ours is composed of the scum of the earth — the mere scum of the earth. It is only wonderful that we should be able to make so much out of them afterwards."
-Arthur Wellesley, 1813





Starting a new project is always fun. I currently have two new projects on the go, the first of which is 28mm Napoleonics.



I'm starting with the British - specifically the South Essex (latterly the Prince Of Wales' Own Volunteers).

These are a mix of Perry and Warlord plastics to provide some variation in height; I also painted various shades across the two ranges to ensure that there were subtle variations in colours to reflect the fact they've been in the field for a while.









Batch painting has always been my weakness so this was all about finding a system that wasn't too painful. The old lollystick approach and lots of washes and glazes was the main way although I am looking forward to the new Citadel Contrast paints as I reckon these will speed things up enormously.





Next up some

7 comments:

  1. Lovely looking bunch. The thought of all that piping yo paint makes me shudder in fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It genuinely wasn't that bad - splash of white and then let the black wash do the heavy lifting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm really happy with how they look as a Battalion.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, sir - stiffens the sinews and the upper lip, I'd say.

      Delete