Anyway, I've managed to get some more bits and pieces done to the base of the diorama:
I've highlighted the edge of the stones and brickwork to add definition. I've also doscovered that Vallejo transparent orange - which I just used on a whim - does a great job for rust.
I've textured the platform with some pin washes and a filter.
I've weathered some of the detail with Tamiya Smoke, one of my all time favourite paints; a must have for anyone working in the industrial future or on steampunk Victoriana.
I've also base coated the two marines. Rather than go with the usual rather saturated look of the GW colours, I've used Prussian Blue for a slightly more muted tone.
More to come this week assuming I don't keel over.