Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Sunday 11 March 2018

Steelheart's Champions



In need of a little project with a definite start and end, I picked up the Shadespire box set; 8 miniatures and 6 hexes of terrain to build and then It's done.

So here's the first of the warbands from the box - who will obviously double up as an age of Sigmar Skirmish warband.




For the palette I took my cue from the italianate baroque masks the Stormcasts have been saddled with and looked at Venetian Carnival costumes. From there I got the green and gold with purple and turquoise accents.

Strictly speaking, following this the masks themselves should be white but I HATE THEM SO MUCH I didn't want to draw attention to them.

Painting was very simple- a zenith prime followed by a thin glaze of dark green then a drybrush of yellow-green. The whole then had a green wash added as a filter to tie it all together.

The bases were painted using the same techniques and palette as the various bits of scenery I've been doing for Caliburn Fell which also happens to match the Shadespire boards.

As an aside the bases in this kit are bloody brillant.

Enjoyed these and the Khorne nutters are next.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work! You're right though, the helmets are terrible. I'm thinking of replacing them all with bare heads for my set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've replaced them on every other one I've done but this time I didn't have a female head, which caused a problem...

      Delete
  2. Ah.. green and purple: a great combo, looking at it I am hit with a wave of nostalgia: one of the first D&D minis I painted as a young teenager (either a dwarf or a halfling, I can't recall) using Humbrol enamels was painted in identical colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat the Joker Palette. I'm going to do my Necromunda Escher gang in the same vein.

      Delete
  3. Nice work. I couldn't settle for a good armour colour so I just painted them metal, with the sashes and belts and shields. But I like your green scheme.

    I agree about the helmets, they look very daft. I switched mine out for bareheaded heads from my bit box; a statuesque miniatures female head for the lady stormcast and an old Empire militia head for the hammer dude. I gave the leader a frostgrave barbarian head because I liked the rugged look a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...with the sashes and belts and shields BLUE" I mean.

      Delete