Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Friday 30 November 2018

Where now are the horse and the rider?


"For he was a gentle heart and a great king and kept his oaths; and he rose out of the shadows to a last fair morning."





I finally finished painting my new Theoden from the new box set. What a lovely figure to paint - and of one of my favourite characters.

I took my time: inked the armour to get some depth before painting the gold trim. For the flesh, layers of highlights and then a brown filter and pin flesh wash.




For the horse I built the layers up from grey to white and then gave a final glaze of off white to smooth out the transitions. The final touch was to add the Simbelmynë flowers which grew on the graves of the Sons of Eorl - a fitting omen given what he's riding to.






I had a blast painting this and I'm hoping that Santa brings me the new Gandalf.


9 comments:

  1. Those look like great figures, very well painted- nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work! You did him justice.

    I've always had a soft spot for the Rohirrim; even LONG before the films when I first read the books around 1970.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always loved Rohan in the books and then the films nailed it perfectly. And BH's performance as Theoden is stunning

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff, and the flowers are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One of the reasons I love Middle Earth stuff is that these little details are there for the taking.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work. Inspirational indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work, splendid painting on really nice sculpts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete