Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Saturday 30 May 2015

True Grit


I've been watching a lot of Westerns while I've been painting this week because, Hell, who doesn't like a good western?

As part of my digging around in the garage I located the last set of miniatures I was painting before the birth of my firstborn, 3 years ago. They are a sorry-lookin' collection of half-painted cowpokes and desperadoes from Black Scorpion and Artizan.

Here's the photo taken way back when:


A Good Day


I've started catching up with them - I've already posted big Al:

Al

And yesterday I sat down to watch True Grit (the original version, although Lord knows I do love them both) and painted the Duke in his Oscar-winning turn as Deputy US Marshall Rooster Cogburn:



Rooster (2 of 2)

As an interesting aside, I really need to stop using the big macro lens to shoot my minis as it makes the brushwork look horrible:


Rooster (1 of 2)

So the next step is to paint a few more; I have the Artizan Doc Holliday and Wild Bill to do as well as the Black Scorpion generic chaps.

Can anyone recommend any good Western rules...?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't played either, yet, though I do own them.

    Wargames Foundry - The Rules With No Name aka. a fistfull of dice.
    These seem to be scenario driven and there is no option to create 'gangs'. I haven't a clue as to how players choose what figure to use, actually. There is some useful rules in the book, however.

    Great Escape Games - Dead Man's Hand. The cowboy rules that are en vogue at the moment.
    Simple. Fun. Gang creation and experience accumulating (like Blood Bowl, Necromunda or Mordheim). There is a wealth of internet information on these rules, youtube has videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roy. I have Legends of the Old West kicking around and A Fistful of Lead. I'll have a look at Dead Man's Hand.

      Delete
  2. Your Duke/Marshall Cogburn looks great! And eminently recognizable. Sorry, I don't know about rules for the genre. Last time I played any Westerns was some sort of board games probably back in the 1980s (a game by Avalon Hill, I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz. The Artizan sculpts are as good as the Perry Lord of the Rings for capturing likenesses. I'm really impressed with their Val Kilmer Doc Holliday as well. I might have to treat myself to the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

      Delete
  3. Ye-ha, some mighty fine work there Sir.

    ReplyDelete