Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Friday 1 March 2019

Oliphant!

"Grey as a mouse,
Big as a house,
Nose like a snake,
I make the earth shake,
As I tramp through the grass;
Trees crack as I pass.
With horns in my mouth
I walk in the South,
Flapping big ears.
Beyond count of years
I stump round and round,
Never lie on the ground,
Not even to die.
Oliphaunt am I,
Biggest of all,
Huge, old, and tall.
If ever you'd met me
You wouldn't forget me.
If you never do,
You won't think I'm true;
But old Oliphaunt am I,
And I never lie."

As I mentioned earlier, the boys and I spent the Christmas holidays watching the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings more or less on a loop. The youngest - age 4 - was very taken withe the Mumak. So very taken, in fact that he immediately started asking for one.

It's a fascinating model - for years, one of the biggest that GW made and almost an entire army in its own right. So I didn't mind using my hobby budget to buy one. The sculpt is showing its age - there was quite a lot of filling needed. Once constructed, I broke out the airbrush for the base colours and highlights and followed it up with some drybrushing for texture.








It was a relatively fun little project and led to a happy customer.



Next up, another project for my other son and then - finally! - something for me.

8 comments:

  1. It's an imposing model, cool work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has always been an impressive model and great to see your efforts have been favourably received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been playing with it a lot, so that's a good thing.

      Delete
  3. That last photo certainly highlights how impressive this piece is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is I can't find anywhere to keep it!

      Delete