Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Saturday 22 November 2014

A Field In England

"Hold fast!" Creedence Hopkins called to his compatriots and the evil spawn shambled closer. "The Lord Christ is with us!"

Forsaken Smith snorted, "I'd rather 'twere Richard Ingoldsby's men." With a crack his pistol discharged and he cocked the second one.

Hopkins raised his Holy Bible and stared down the hill at what had once been his friend. He drew in a might breath and roared, "In the name of God, GO!"






*****

Well, it's done; and I'm quite pleased with it; we can think of it as a very late Zomtober entry.

If you've been keeping up with the construction blogs, you've seen how this came together bit by bit.



The last stages were sticking the miniatures into the base after the base coat. I then added some gravel and blended the painting in.





The last stage was adding the foliage; varying it between static grass, clump foliage and long grass to create a more natural feel.

Here's some more shots of the final piece - when I took the photos the last few bits of loose grass and what have you were stuck to the miniatures. That's been blown off now.

















I'm happy with the painting of the miniatures and I'm quite pleased with how the tree turned out although my sculpting skills are still not really up to scratch. I like the effect of the different landscaping materials and I'll use that again.

I'd like to thank Mr Michael Awdry of the 28mm Victorian Warfare for putting me on to Tamiya Clear Red for the blood and everyone who has stopped by and offered their support.

I just need to paint the edges of the base black and then it's done. And then? This and the Dinosaur model will be being donated to the school library next week in the hopes that they might inspire some Small Person to pick up a paintbrush or a book.

On to the next project!

9 comments:

  1. Tremendous work Herbert, I love it all! It has been wonderful to see this come together into a wonderful piece of work - bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, sir, very kind indeed. Thank you for you help.

      Delete
  2. A nicely put together display piece!

    I would of loved to of had work such as these in the school library, when I was a pupil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words; I feel the same about the library, hence why they're going there.

      Delete
  3. That's an absolutely awesome vignette! Just the right amount of blood and gore without overdoing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. I may tempted to add just a touch more where the leg has been ripped off...

      Delete
  4. It came together very well! Excellent work! And that's a really cool idea, donating your two vignettes to your library. Maybe they can tie them into a display with related books (Doyle's Lost World, for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to think what they could stick next to the zombies...

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, that looks really good.

    ReplyDelete