Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Thursday 30 May 2019

The Future is Now

The other thing that's been keeping me occupied alongside my new Napoleonic project was a new bit of kit. Having played with them at work quite a lot I decided it was time to get myself a 3d printer.

Building it was the first job - and as it was a job requiring quite a degree of precision it was quite outside my usual slapdash wheelhouse - and then working out what to print.





I started simply with some Necromunda walls; the first test piece was successful so I will be printing a full set of these in due course.






Next, a dragon for my youngest to test organic shapes. Pretty good again and a couple of important lessons learned about how to slice the projects for printing.







Finally, a house. This will have three stories, including interior details. This has obvious applications for AoS, Middle Earth, Mordeim and Historical.







All of the above were from a single roll of filament; about 750g in total, so cost about £10. The electricity cost is negligible, about the same as an old 60w incandescent lamp. Overall I am very impressed; as long as you have good stl files to work with, the possibilities are endless. It's like have a Star Trek replicator for wargames terrain. 

The first major project will be, I think, the gatehouse to match the medieval house and then a full set of Necromunda walls. Then I think I'll be looking for a model of the Nostromo....

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh yes. One of my favourite ships but the old model kit is like gold dust...

      Delete
  2. Wow. Those are some fine looking pieces of terrain. Looking forward to seeing more of your adventures in 3d printing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive is that an ender 3 ? Been contemplating buying one I'd guess you'd say to get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ender 3 pro - £20 more expensive but worth it for the improvements

      Delete
  4. Now this is interesting, just had a quick look at the prices for the Ender 3 Pro, really quite reasonable. Very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent end results. Looks like the Star Trek replicator technology at its infancy.

    ReplyDelete