Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Bits and Pieces

Well, I have survived another Ofsted visit and my unbroken record continues unabated - I appear to a +3 Cloak of Invisibility To Inspectors as I haven't been seen since 2003. 

Anyway, as the dust settles, I can start to turn my attention to the workbench. This has been an evening of bits. First, the tree; this is designed to give some further height to the rear of the model and well as make the Witchhunters appear smaller and thus more vulnerable. 

A few twists of garden wire 


Et voila. Throw in some greenstuff seeing as I bought so much of the damn stuff and we have a reasonably well skinned tree: 


A few more bits on the furthest branches and some tatty foliage and we can call that one done. 

As per usual I mixed too much greenstuff and so used it up by adding some detailing to the other job this evening, the fence marking the edge of this godforsaken graveyard: 



Not the neatest job in the world, but it will add a touch of visual interest and saves me clipping pins to make nails. 

Hopefully I'll get the tree finished and mounted at the weekend and then it's just a matter of painting and greenery. 

The week should end well in gaming terms though - by a freak confluence of events, tomorrow sees me fight my first game of Warhammer Fantasy Battle in nearly ten years and Friday evening will see me dragged out of retirement to run my first RPG in almost as long. Having read the new edition I can say something I never thought I'd say - I'm actually looking forward to a game of Dungeons and Dragons. 

I'll let you know what misadventures befall. 


6 comments:

  1. Looks like a quite shabby graveyard. Small wonder the witchhunters were sure to find what they were looking for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they probably feel that if a job is worth doing it's worth doing in a locale with the right genre conventions.

      Delete
  2. Coming along apace and good dodging skills with the inspectors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if I were to have some outside confirmation of my magnificence at the chalkface, though. :)

      Delete
  3. Well, I have seen that type of fencing method, though it used farmyard wire and not the rope I'd expect you'll be painting them as, so I can't say it's a novel approach to fencing. But clipping pins! Sheesh, rather you than me if you'd done that.

    If the finished piece results in as promising a treat as the wip suggests, I think you'll be awarded a gold star / merit award (choose as your School supplies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I've only clipped the pins when it's important to have bits of nails stuck out. It's not something I'd do lightly - aside from anything else it's expensive! Looks great on scratty Western terrain pieces, though.

      Delete