Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Tuesday 18 April 2017

Enter the Silver Tower....

I'm a big fan of board games, and the idea of a semi-cooperative dungeon basher is enormously appealing so this was a no brainer.

Inside the box is all the gubbins you need to play the game including a frankly ridiculous number of miniatures. I decided to kick off with the Stormcast. I've never been a huge fan of the Stormcast sculpts; but as I discovered while working on it, it's not the design of the miniatures overall I dislike - it's the helmet. Once you take the helmet off, the sheer bulk of the miniature has a certain brutal presence.


As you can see, I continued down the grimy, lived in look I've been developing on my AoS28 and Inq28. I swapped out the head for one of the Flagellants and set to work with the various weathering techniques at my disposal.














The base is painted to reflect the shifting chaos of the interior of the Silver Tower. 


I am very, very happy with the outcome. This is a good start to the project, I think.



7 comments:

  1. That head makes all the difference. Looks a real grizzled veteran. I may have to steal the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's astonishing the change that a headswap makes. I'm going to have a go at a few more and see what I can develop.

      Delete
  2. As above.
    A wonderful conversion, I'm greenstuff - dyslexic' I always end up with mutant hedgehog look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair is the only thing I can do really: just lay down strips of it and then run the blade of the scalpel along it to make strands.

      Delete
  3. Long may you continue to champion the grimy, lived in look as it is absolutely superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding the whole grimy aesthetic very addictive. Currently doing it to scenery....

      Delete
  4. You've turned an ordinary mini into something full of character. The head is fab, but I really like the cloak, especially with that little border at the bottom. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete